Pulled out an oldie from the family recipes today… Taco pie! Always one of my favorite meals back in the good ol’ days.
1 lb ground beef
1 jar picante sauce
1 pie crust (bottom only)
1/3 cup broken tortilla chips
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Red pepper, chopped
1. Brown ground beef and drain. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Add taco seasoning and 1 cup of picante sauce. Let simmer for 5-8 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add the egg in the beef mixture.
4. Put layer of 1/2 cup of cheese on top of the pie crust and top with sautéed red peppers.
5. Pour ground beef mixture over the peppers and top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
6. Sprinkle crushed tortillas over the top.
7. Bake at 350 on preheated baking sheet for 20-25 minutes. Garnish with additional toppings (green onions, black olives, peppers, lettuce, sour cream, etc).
–Makes 6 servings