Staying with the spirit of Halloweekend, I decided to make some smoked stuffed peppers carved out to be Jack-o-lanterns!
Here’s what I used:
6 orange bell peppers
1 lb ground turkey
1 lb Italian sausage
1 small onion diced
2 cups of mushrooms diced
1 cup of shredded Italian blend cheese
1 bunch of flat leaf parsley
4 cloves of fresh garlic minced
1 cup of brown rice
Here’s what I did:
1. Wash and drain the bell peppers, then cut the tops off with a sharp knife. Remove the stems and any seeds from inside of the peppers. Throw away the stems but keep the top ring of the peppers for adding to the stuffing. Dice the onions, pepper tops, mushrooms and set aside.
2. Brown the ground beef and Italian sausage in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Season the meat as it cooks with salt and pepper. Once it’s brown drain the meat mixture on a paper towel and set aside.
3. Next, sauté the diced onions, peppers and mushrooms in a little olive oil for 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and parsley to the pan and continue to cook for 3 more minutes until the vegetables have softened. Season with a little salt and pepper.
4. Combine the meat and vegetables in a large bowl. Stir in the shredded cheese and it’s ready to be stuffed into the peppers.
5. Stuff the peppers and smoke at 275 for 60 minutes.
6. Just before the peppers are done at about the 50 minute mark, top the peppers with shredded cheese. As soon as the cheese melts, the stuffed peppers are ready to take off the cooker and serve.